Monday, March 23, 2009

Sad news about the Thylacine; better news about Ceylon


Today I visited the University Museum of Zoology, where many rare and extinct entities are preserved. For example, I discovered birds from British Central Guinea, Ceylon, Natal and Malaya, all of which are now very difficult to visit.

Best of all was the Thylacine label, which is written entirely in the present tense. I was stunned to learn that this evasive marsupial has been restricted in habitat to just Tasmania - and, regrettably, that there are some thoughts that it may even be extinct.

I was amazed to see that someone had parked a whale skeleton in the carpark above the museum.

'Ba ba ba ba ba brrrrr!' I said in astonishment, which means: 'Who drives such an ostentatious vehicle around? And how much does the registration cost? Let alone the parking fees!'

When I returned home, I was inspired to continue my entomological investigations and discovered a hyperintelligent silverfish, Buggus Cambriensis. It seemed to know an awful lot about eighteenth century chemistry...but not as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment