Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Other City



We are currently in Norwich.  Norwich's slogan when marketing itself to tourists is 'Norwich - a fine city'.  Some years ago it was changed to 'Norwich - the other city', in a reference to the time when it was England's capital city around the time of the Norman conquest.  I don't know who Norman was, but things have changed since he was around, and 'the other city' never really took off as a slogan.  Now it is simply 'A fine city' once again.

Today I met my other great-grandmother, Kathleen.  She had some very shiny buttons which were marvellous, and also some lovely Christmas decorations hanging from her ceiling which fascinated me.

Even better than great grandma was her cat, Feet.  

'Ga!  Ga!' I shrieked as soon as I saw him.  My parents think this means 'cat' but they are so wrong - of course it means: 'Do come over here, cat, so that I can conduct a detailed physiological study of you and double-check that you have been correctly classified on the taxonomic charts!  Failing that, I would like to eat some of your cat biscuits.'

No comments:

Post a Comment