Saturday, April 11, 2009

Notes toward a definition of the word 'more'





Among other interests I am a keen amateur philologist, studying the etymology and usage of the 'words' with which the big people are so keen on communicating. Personally I think crying is more effective and more efficient in getting one's way, but they can't seem to help babbling on so I do make an attempt to understand what they are saying.

One of the words I've noticed lately is 'more'. It usually indicates that a spoonful of mashed banana or perhaps mushy apple is coming my way. Over the last few days though, I've noticed it being used, well, more.

For example, the phrase 'just a little bit more' seems to be trotted out whenever I politely request that we go in out of the rain and stop stomping about over mountaintops. I translate it to mean 'there are five more hours to go, kindly go to sleep and wait for them to be over.' Also, 'Rannoch Moor' which seems to mean 'never ending expanse of drizzle-lashed heathland'.

No comments:

Post a Comment